Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White terrorist kills muslims with car
(06-22-2017, 05:59 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm curious about the term "liberal democracy".  Is there such a thing as a conservative democracy?  Would not the democracy of our nation at its founding be considered somewhat less than liberal by current standards?  Is the US version of democracy not decidedly more conservative than that of many/most European democracies?  

1. Erdogan's AKP party in Turkey is trying to construct a "conservative democracy" whose salient features appear to be autocratic rule and erasure of the boundary between religion and state. I have heard Iran and Malyasia called conservative democracies. I don't see an analogy to the US at its founding.

2. I am not sure what you mean by "current standards"; perhaps you are using the terms "liberal" and "conservative" as synonyms for "socially permissive" and "socially strict." Blacks and Women have the vote now so we are more "liberal" than at the founding?
I am going by conventional political science definitions when I call the US a liberal democracy--at its beginnings and now.  One feature of US democracy which distinguishes it from European is the absence of an effective left and an aristocratic, anti-democratic right. US conservatives usually trace their ideals back to Edmund Burke, not de Bonald or de Maistre or Metternich. "Conservatism" in the US is for the most part classical liberalism, as this has taken shape in opposition to "new" or progressive liberalism, which appeared in the later 19th century. So liberal either way.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: White terrorist kills muslims with car - Dill - 06-23-2017, 12:54 AM