Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White terrorist kills muslims with car
(06-27-2017, 01:25 AM)Dill Wrote: Just wondering, Benton. Would you say that journalistic decisions about what facts to include in a story or not, and further editorial decisions about what to include or not, could embed a viewpoint in journalism which was not "opinion"--even if only facts are reported in the article/report?

Also, if you think that is possible, is it possible that it could occur without journalists/editors being conscious of it?

You put the facts out there — all of them — and let the reader make their own decision. Like giving someone a jigsaw puzzle. You give them all the pieces and the picture they make from it is their own, even if they force a few of the corners here and there. 

What you're asking is possible. I've had it happen to me (the one that always sticks out is I had an editor that was opposed to anything the local school board did, and he pretty well murdered everything I wrote to make them sound as bad as possible). But it should not happen, and the majority of reporters and editors are opposed to it. Just like putting an individual's beliefs into a story, that's not really journalism.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: White terrorist kills muslims with car - Benton - 06-27-2017, 10:47 AM