Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opioid crisis got worse thanks to Obamacare
(07-02-2017, 11:37 AM)Millhouse Wrote: A Middletown, OH councilman proposes for his area that a heroin user can only be revived two times (I am guessing yearly?) by ems squads with the drug Narcan. Any time after that though, they would be on their own. 

As harsh and cruel as that may sound to some people, I am all for it because at some point allowing natural selection to run its course might be a good thing for society in the long run. But also because of the money and strain it causes on local cities like Middletown where I read they pay about $100k a year on the Narcan revival drug, which is 10 times the amount they are budgeted for. And spend 1.5 million a year just on heroin addicts overdosing in total cost. (article below)

So my question to folks here is what do you think the limit should be on reviving a heroin addict, or should there be a limit? And should an heroin overdose take second priority for EMS squads if other emergencies are happening at the same time? I say yes for sure on the this.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/06/28/ohio-councilman-suggests-three-strikes-law-halt-overdose-rescues/434920001/

Sounds like a nightmare of paperwork.

"Bill, revive this guy."

"I can't he was give. His second dose in august."

"But he got his first in October, so calendar year, he.... wAit, google the statute."

Plus, I can't imagine telling a healthcare professional not to save someone. Most likely they will anyway.

Good intentions, bad idea.

I would prefer they just outlaw methadone and instead of trying to chemically treat addiction, start funding treatment centers. trying to help out drug companies and the prison industry has created a horrible approach to ending drug abuse in this country.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Opioid crisis got worse thanks to Obamacare - Benton - 07-02-2017, 03:29 PM