Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump breaks tradition, doesn't recognize LGBT Pride Month
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/340344-trump-breaks-tradition-doesnt-recognize-lgbt-pride-month

Quote:President Trump’s White House broke with the tradition of officially recognizing June as LGBT Pride Month.
While other members of Trump’s administration, including Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, issued statements marking the month, Trump’s White House never officially acknowledged it.

Former President Bill Clinton was the first to declare June as LGBT Pride month, but the tradition didn’t continue under former President George W. Bush. The White House began recognizing the month again during former President Barack Obama’s administration.

The absence is surprising in part because of Trump's apparent support for some gay rights on the campaign trail. Last October, he posed with a rainbow flag in Colorado. In July, he promised a mostly conservative crowd that "I will do everything in my power to protect our LGBTQ citizens from the violence and oppression of the hateful, foreign ideology, believe me."

First daughter Ivanka Trump tweeted recognition of the month. "This month we celebrate and honor the #LGBTQ community," she wrote on June 1.

"In recognition of LGBTI Month, the Department of State affirms its solidarity with the human rights defenders and civil society organizations working around the world to uphold the fundamental freedoms of LGBTI persons to live with dignity and freedom," Tillerson also said in a statement.

Last week, Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) introduced a Senate resolution to formally recognize June as LGBT Pride month, responding to the White House's declining to do so.

“This year, the White House broke with an 8 year tradition and did not issue a presidential proclamation acknowledging June as Pride Month,” he wrote on Twitter. “So I'm proud to lead the first-ever Senate Resolution recognizing June as LGBTQ Pride Month.”

Brown was joined by 23 other senators in sponsoring the resolution.

The White House DID, however, acknowledge many other things...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/07/03/president-trumps-pride-month-adam-chandler-column/442577001/

Quote:When May turned to June this year, the White House issued a flurry of proclamations recognizing June’s many identities: everything from National Homeownership Month to African-American Music Appreciation Month to Great Outdoors Month. For the first time since President Obama took office, Pride Month did not make the cu
t. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
Trump breaks tradition, doesn't recognize LGBT Pride Month - GMDino - 07-03-2017, 11:13 AM