Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Aircraft Carriers - What is their future?
(07-19-2017, 04:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't know enough to say, but just their ability to rapidly move a lethal force anywhere on the globe seems pretty useful.  

I always hear of a carrier group.  What other ships travel with them?  Do they travel with the cruise missile carrying ships?

My thinking is they are extremely useful and cost-effective in peacetime or in conflicts with minor powers. And that probably makes it worthwhile to keep them for the present time and into the short-term future. But they would be less useful and a bit of a liability in an all-out war with a major power like Russia or China. Also, the expected proliferation of unmanned aerial and submarine vehicles by smaller nations may make them more of a liability in those conflicts in the future.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a carrier group would include 1 or 2 nuclear guided missile cruisers capable of launching cruise missiles, and 4 or more destroyers, 2 for anti-aircraft/anti-missile support and 2 for anti-submarine support. 

Combat radius' for our current carrier aircraft (how far they can go when loaded for bear) range from about 450 to 750 miles. That is about the maximum they can penetrate inland for an attack. 
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Aircraft Carriers - What is their future? - Bengalzona - 07-19-2017, 07:52 PM