Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump Administration Moves To Defund Teen Pregnancy Research Programs
(07-30-2017, 01:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: While the abstinence-only thing sounds like a Pence move... I will point out this for the articles crediting the program with the lowered teen pregnancy rates:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr63/nvsr63_04.pdf

Teen Pregnancies were already in falling from '90, before the program even started, as you can see from the graph on page 1. If you look at the area that is '07, '08, and '09, you'll see it had already started freefall.

Meanwhile they throw out how Trump is defunding it in big letters and headlines, and slip in or don't mention that they only had funding until 2020 anyway. So it's just ending 2 years early, and saving $213.6m.

- - - - - - - -
Side Note: I kind of have a problem with "teen pregnancies" including 18 and 19-year-olds. Yes the numbers end in "teen", but those are adults.

From the link:
NSFG also shows significant increases over the last two decades in the use of contraception at first sex and at most recent sex.

My guess is that increased contraceptive use correlates with more funding for making better decisions.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump Administration Moves To Defund Teen Pregnancy Research Programs - Benton - 07-30-2017, 02:21 PM