Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Official GOP Debate Thread
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2015/08/08/donald-trump-megyn-kelly-redstate-gathering/31334425/

Quote:In addition to the criticism over the Kelly comment, Trump also had to deal with a shake-up in his organization. A campaign statement said Trump fired Roger Stone, saying the adviser wanted to use the presidential bid "for his own personal publicity."

Stone said he resigned, tweeting that he "fired Trump" because of the campaign's diversion to a "food fight" with Kelly, rather than a focus on "core issue messages."

In Thursday night's debate in Cleveland, Kelly reminded Trump he has described women as "fat pigs, dogs, slobs and disgusting animals," among other insults. She asked Trump how he would answer claims by Democrats that Republicans are engaged in a "war on women."

Trump described the complaints as examples of "political correctness," and told the Fox News moderator: "Honestly, Megyn, if you don't like it, I'm sorry. I've been very nice to you, although I could probably maybe not be, based on the way you have treated me."

In the Saturday statement, the Trump campaign said that, during the debate, he made Kelly "look really bad — she was a mess with her anger and totally caught off guard."

Responding to Trump's attack on him, Erickson said, "it is not political correctness — it is common sense."

Trump leads in early Republican presidential polls, but his scathing comments about critics throughout the campaign are generating increased opposition.

RedState Gathering attendees seemed to support Trump's dismissal, saying the Republicans have enough trouble with female voters as it is.

Trump "just continues to shoot himself in the foot," said Gene Hood, 57, a self-employed education consultant from Canton, Ga. She added that the eventual GOP nominee "has to be able to attract women, and he is just alienating women right and left."

Other attendees said they had looked forward to Trump's speech. Cindy LaMar, 62, from Newburgh, Ind., noted that Erickson is a Fox News contributor and that relationship may have contributed to his decision to dis-invite the billionaire.

"But again, it's his event, and he can do what he chooses," LaMar said.

Sally Fawcett, 72, a retired teacher from Sarasota, Fla., said Trump would have been a "distraction" from the event. She also found Trump's comments "insulting," but added "I'm sure Megyn can handle it."
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - GMDino - 08-08-2015, 08:28 PM