Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
California Passes SB 277 Forcing All Children To Get Vaccinated
(05-19-2015, 03:10 PM)Benton Wrote: Agreed. It's weird we're moving to that but for the opposite reasons.

Those cultures tend to put the family unit above the individual, so it makes sense for the parent to sacrifice spending time with their own kid to help provide for the family, while the grandparent sacrifices the "retired" years to rear a child.

On the flip side, our culture favors individual needs first, so we seem more and more ok with a parent leaving the child with the grand parents to have a successful career/go to college/graduate high school/have killer parties/whatever.

Personally, I see some strengths in it. My stepson is eight years older than my daughter. I didn't have the patience then, or the wisdom that comes with those eight years to be as good of a parent. Not that I failed him, but I wasn't as good of a parent to him as I am to my daughter because I lacked the skills that came with more time, more money, more life. On the flip side, my parents weren't the greatest. They had issues. But now, as grand parents, I see them as good role models.

Exactly. There also is the work culture that exists that prevents this from happening. We live to work here, and as a result people work well into the retirement years of other cultures. Combine that with how we value needs and you will never be able to make it work in the way they do.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: California Passes SB 277 Forcing All Children To Get Vaccinated - Belsnickel - 05-19-2015, 03:25 PM