Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Alt-right rallies in Charlottesville, VA
(08-14-2017, 02:04 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Okay, I see where you are coming from. Sorry, still a little worked up about this situation. Usually you can kind of step away from things when something like this happens and take a break, but when it is so local, it infects your whole life and you get no rest from it.

Completely understandable, no apology necessary.

(08-14-2017, 02:10 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: One of the things that makes it hard to discuss this without coming off as excusing the behavior one particular violent group is that partisan conservatives tend to equate all against the Nazis as Antifa while partisan liberals tend to ignore any Antifa presence. 

Conservatives believe liberals have failed in the past to distance themselves from or disavow Antifa. It's almost like they want that to be a condition for any disavowing of Nazis/White Nationalists/Supremacists. Unfortunately in this case, the result is that a lot of people are writing off peaceful victims as Antifa, condoning the violence as "well, I'm not saying Nazis are good but was it self defense?"

And of course, some, on both sides, are so utterly unaware of the sources of their information that I still see people pushing that 4chan bullshit that the Ohio Nazi wasn't the killer.

I'm not referring to anything coming out of /pol/, but I get what you're saying.  This kind of violence over political differences has become normalized over the past year or so.  You don't have to defend or excuse anyone by pointing this out.  Like I said earlier, I devoted an entire thread to this very topic quite a while ago.  There is a prevailing notion among many that it's ok to physically attack someone if they're engaging in "hate speech".  It's not, not even a little.  Hate speech is as protected as any other speech in our country and it's not even remotely defending or excusing what happened this weekend to point this out.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Alt-right rallies in Charlottesville, VA - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 08-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Just a reminder - StLucieBengal - 08-14-2017, 07:08 PM
RE: Just a reminder - Nately120 - 08-14-2017, 09:26 PM
RE: Just a reminder - BmorePat87 - 08-14-2017, 09:28 PM
RE: Just a reminder - Benton - 08-15-2017, 02:24 PM
Weimar America - THE Bigzoman - 08-19-2017, 08:40 PM