Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baltimore removes 4 statues over night
(08-16-2017, 03:49 PM)Benton Wrote: I've never really understood it in the South, either.

Did pro-England Americans put up statues of King George in the late 1700s? That's an honest question to you as someone more proficient in history, not an attempt at humor. Around 1776 there were some statues of the king (and I think I remember one about a general) that were pulled down in New York. The reason I remember was the park was named Bowling Green, which is th same name as a town near me. But the first time I heard the story, I thought "Why the hell did they put up a statue of King George in [what at the time in 1776 was] the middle of nowhere?"

I don't know. I've never seen any statuary of loyalist generals/leaders in the US. Not saying it doesn't exist, I've just never seen any. I also don't disagree with you on the lack of understanding in the south, as well. The only thing I can come up with as a difference that makes this comparison difficult, is that there weren't too many loyalists sticking around after the revolution. you likely had some, but nothing in comparison to the percentage of confederate sympathizers that would have existed in the south, and hell, even still do.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Baltimore removes 4 statues over night - Belsnickel - 08-16-2017, 04:51 PM