Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex-sheriff Joe Arpaio found guilty of criminal contempt of court
(08-31-2017, 06:43 PM)PhilHos Wrote: C'mon, Bel, this isn't the first time a presidential pardon has been used like this.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-arpaio-pardon-has-plenty-of-precedents-that-got-other-presidents-in-trouble/

Essentially, Trump is not really setting any kind of precedent. And while I understand your concerns to how this could possibly effect future situations facing the court, taking away a power from the president that is specifically expressed in the Constitution with anything short of an ammendment is a far more worrisome precendent, IMO.

And I would have accepted a court challenge to every one of those pardons. I understand what you are saying, but contrary to popular belief, the amendment process is not the only way the Constitution changes. The Constitution is changed by the political and legal processes far more often than the amendment process. It isn't as formal a change, but it happens often. I would have been happy to see the pardon power have limits in place before, but if this is the challenge to do it, then so be it.

Also, commutations in that list are different, as that does not void the conviction.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ex-sheriff Joe Arpaio found guilty of criminal contempt of court - Belsnickel - 08-31-2017, 07:05 PM