Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dont' discount the value of learning a skilled trade.
(09-01-2017, 01:03 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I thought you earned a bachelor's degree?

I do have a BS in Communications, that I earned a long time ago.  9 months later, I found myself learning a skilled trade in the construction field.  I was instantly making 3 times as much as I did in radio.  Then, about 20 years down the road, the housing market crash led me to find a new profession.  I went back and studied Land Surveying Technology.  Since then I have been gainfully employed in the Surveying department of an Engineering firm.

My point was that I could have saved a lot of time, money, and debt by going directly into the trades.  Looking back, I enjoyed my college days, as I had a lot of fun and made some lifelong friends.  However, if back at the career days, back in HS, had they shown more about skilled trades, rather than telling everyone that you needed a bachelor's degree to be competitive in the "modern world", I might have chosen a different path from the beginning.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dont' discount the value of learning a skilled trade. - SunsetBengal - 09-01-2017, 09:03 AM