Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The consequences of jail over treatment
(09-01-2017, 07:46 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: While there seems to be a focus on the specific of hard labor, Lucile's premise isn't entirely wrong. I am an addict, my vice was just cigarettes. Out of all of the times I "tried to quit," the only one that stuck was when I really wanted to. Something has changed in my life that made me want to stop smoking. I knew I was in a bad place health wise and needed to turn something around. I am still not great, but at least I have been tobacco free for over four years.

My point is that if we just order people into treatment, it isn't going to stick if they aren't ready. We need to find a way to give them some sort of reason to want it to stick. One of the Amy's to help a lot of these folks find some of that purpose that could provide that is job training. It doesn't have to be hard labor, and it may not even be job training that will do it for them, but it's an idea.

That's the number one predictor of success.

My focus on the hard labor is that it doesn't mix very well with someone being weaned off of a opioid addiction who are generally in poor physical health with an increased chance of withdrawal. At a minimum, it could precipitate a hypertensive emergency and kill someone. Rehab and hard labor need to be two distinct entities.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The consequences of jail over treatment - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 09-01-2017, 09:56 AM