Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was Kirkpatrick over Zeitler the right choice?
THE PISTONS Wrote:So far this year, Kirkpatrick's PFF rating is 41.9 which is Poor. He's ranked as the 91st best CB. Zeitler, in a new scheme with the Browns ranks at 72.5 which is Average. Last year he was rated as the #7 Guard in football.

IF we let Kirkpatrick walk, our CB's would have been: Jones/Jackson/Dennard/Shaw then Russell and Benwikere. Granted Dennard has been a disappointment up to this year...but this far this year he's at a 79.6. Jackson has a 77.4. Granted they're not facing a teams #1 WR like Kirkpatrick, but it seems they are capable.

Now the offensive line with Zeitler would have been: Ced/Boling/Bodine/Zeitler/Fisher...and Smith could be rotated with Fisher and Ced and TJ Johnson could be slid in at Center producing something like this: Smith/Boling/Johnson/Zeitler/Fisher.

Which scenario makes the team better?

Personally I think the dropoff from Kirkpatrick to the other CB's is less than from Zeitler to the other lineman. Especially allowing Johnson to slide in at Center.

I wish I were wrong, but I really think it's more about absolutes....only a sith deals in them ya know.  This team pays and drafts high corners and tackles, not guards/centers and safeties.  I really had hope they'd buck this trend with Zeitler the low 1st (highest pick since they let Steinbach walk).  Guard was one of the team's few needs at the time, and when it came time for a contract.....IF the team would ever pay a premium it would be this time.  

They needed stability, you can't buy chemistry.  Timetable wise, they have ONE OL in their prime (Boling, not Bodine..he's chop steak not prime).  Zeitler dealt with two turnstiles to either side, and I don't hesitate to use that word we use too much for the sake of showing how disgusted we are of this.  There was nothing Zeitler was going to do to earn a pay day.  Go get your best deal and bring it back, if you leave oh well we drafted guys we believe in.  Then when the unit fails we believe "we need to play better" solves any anger over a loss.  

You're right that Zeitler was the bigger need, but DreKirk plays a premium position.  Just be glad Dennard wasn't on schedule to be a UFA the same year.  Then they'd throw him a say 20% less/yr long term and see it as a supplement to then losing Dre.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was Kirkpatrick over Zeitler the right choice? - phil413 - 09-27-2017, 10:55 AM