Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was Kirkpatrick over Zeitler the right choice?
(09-27-2017, 10:09 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So far this year, Kirkpatrick's PFF rating is 41.9 which is Poor. He's ranked as the 91st best CB. Zeitler, in a new scheme with the Browns ranks at 72.5 which is Average. Last year he was rated as the #7 Guard in football.

IF we let Kirkpatrick walk, our CB's would have been: Jones/Jackson/Dennard/Shaw then Russell and Benwikere. Granted Dennard has been a disappointment up to this year...but this far this year he's at a 79.6. Jackson has a 77.4. Granted they're not facing a teams #1 WR like Kirkpatrick, but it seems they are capable.

Now the offensive line with Zeitler would have been: Ced/Boling/Bodine/Zeitler/Fisher...and Smith could be rotated with Fisher and Ced and TJ Johnson could be slid in at Center producing something like this: Smith/Boling/Johnson/Zeitler/Fisher.

Which scenario makes the team better?

Personally I think the dropoff from Kirkpatrick to the other CB's is less than from Zeitler to the other lineman. Especially allowing Johnson to slide in at Center.

More food for thought: Jones is a $7.6 million cap hit. Andre Smith makes $3.25 million. Combined you have nearly Zeitler's salary.
MIKE BROWN NEVER PLANNED ON PAYING ZEITLER.  Mike Brown on not paying Max Montoya said, " Why should I pay big money for a guard ".  He also let Steinback leave.  On letting Zeitler leave, Mike Brown again said, " Why should I pay big money to a guard ".
So THIS is what you are not seeing.  I didn't think Mike Brown would pay Kirkpatrick either because he has been drafting to replace him.  Problem was Dennard has never stepped up, WJ3 due to injury is still a rookie CB, and Pacman was facing possible season suspension. I was very glad under those conditions they kept Kirkpatrick at CB.  Plus Kirkpatrick and Zeitler were our first round picks the same draft in that Carson Palmer trade. To lose both of them so early would mean we completely blew the Palmer trade.  Please do NOT say if we would have dumped Kirkpatrick and others we would have Zeitler because MIKE BROWN NEVER PLANNED ON PAYING ZEITLER.  He came out and said so and you can look it up on internet if you care to.  No matter who we kept or didn't keep, MIKE BROWN HAD NO PLANS ON PAYING A GUARD. He feels guards are not worth big money no matter how good they are. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was Kirkpatrick over Zeitler the right choice? - kevin - 09-28-2017, 03:04 PM