Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Myths About Transition Regrets
(10-03-2017, 03:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What really differentiates a trait/condition from an illness/disorder boils down to it being harmful. The reason Gender Identity Disorder was reclassified to Gender Dysphoria was because it is not longer seen that being gender-non-conforming is a disorder in itself as that is not what is harmful. People can be trans and live happy, healthy lives. But there are people that experience stress and anxiety that comes with being non-conforming, and this is what is classified as dysphoria and is what is harmful.

Does that help?

I've seen that before and I get it, but is that a generalization?  I think believing you are a woman, and not having the physical attributes can be very stressful, and not in a conforming/non-conforming way.  I guess that's where gender dysphoria comes in, but to me it seems 6 one way, half a dozen the other. "No this is not a mental order, but all the bad shit you feel because of it is."  Is schizophrenia not a mental illness until it causes problems?

On another point, a sociopath can live a happy healthy life.  It's still a psychosis.  I'm not trying to argue here as much as understand.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
Myths About Transition Regrets - GMDino - 10-03-2017, 09:53 AM
RE: Myths About Transition Regrets - michaelsean - 10-03-2017, 04:18 PM