Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Myths About Transition Regrets
(10-03-2017, 04:18 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I've seen that before and I get it, but is that a generalization?  I think believing you are a woman, and not having the physical attributes can be very stressful, and not in a conforming/non-conforming way.  I guess that's where gender dysphoria comes in, but to me it seems 6 one way, half a dozen the other. "No this is not a mental order, but all the bad shit you feel because of it is."  Is schizophrenia not a mental illness until it causes problems?

On another point, a sociopath can live a happy healthy life.  It's still a psychosis.  I'm not trying to argue here as much as understand.  

First, to the bolded, I understand that. I didn't think you were arguing, so I'm not approaching it that way.

One of the major components of schizophrenia is cognitive dysfunction, so generally speaking, if one has schizophrenia then this is going to be an issue. This in itself would be a harmful thing. As far as psychopathy/sociopathy, it will get classified as a disorder because of the impairment of the ability to effectively interact with others. So these illnesses/disorders, by themselves, cause issues.

What separates this from someone that is trans is that being trans in itself is not the harmful part. What causes problems is the dysphoria that can come about from it which is often much more of a sociological and psychological factor than biological. Though admittedly, if someone already has a biological predisposition to anxiety or depression, it could be exacerbated.

Anyway, this is just me talking about it from a broader social science perspective, not a psychological expert.

Messages In This Thread
Myths About Transition Regrets - GMDino - 10-03-2017, 09:53 AM
RE: Myths About Transition Regrets - Belsnickel - 10-03-2017, 04:38 PM