Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Myths About Transition Regrets
(10-03-2017, 05:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I can get some of that, but calling it something or not calling it something, doesn't change it.   I think it helps give guidelines for treatment.  If someone is displaying traits of a certain psychosis, then a doctor can see what the current best treatments are.  If we just pretend people have their own individual eccentricities, then it would be much harder to treat them as there would be no established protocol to test to see if it's effective.  

It's not like psychiatrists are saying they are able to diagnose something with 100% accuracy, or that treatments work equally across the board.  They don't even know exactly how half the medications actually work, and will tell you that.  It doesn't seem like anyone is trying to invent something, but rather understand it.

I don't disagree with you. I just found his take interesting when searching for a source on psychology for a definition of "disorder". I end up going down rabbit holes when I look things up. It's especially bad when I am at work because I have more access to scholarly articles (at home I have to sign on to the VPN).

Messages In This Thread
Myths About Transition Regrets - GMDino - 10-03-2017, 09:53 AM
RE: Myths About Transition Regrets - Belsnickel - 10-03-2017, 05:42 PM