Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homophobes Might Be Hidden Homosexuals
(10-04-2017, 10:08 AM)bfine32 Wrote: No thoughts on the article or the origin of the word?

As I said go with your definition. Your much more open-minded, intelligent, and understanding.

BTW, much more only modified open-minded. 

I spoke to the origin of the word. I apologize for not supplying the link, but this is where my quote from a few posts back came from:

http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/Herek_2004_SRSP.pdf

It goes into detail over the trouble with trying to look at homophobia as a clinical term to describe a fear when it describes far more than that. Weinberg certainly seems to disagree with the notion that a new word is needed, most likely because it is his baby, but I do not disagree that a more useful term could exist. That aside, it doesn't really impact the way Weinberg has been using the term since the 70's and the way it is accepted today. This particular paper goes on to discuss the way homophobia influenced the creation of other terms like transphobia and AIDS-phobia and mention the outrage from the antigay community as it marked a shift from looking at being gay as the problem to looking at discrimination against gay people being the problem. 

It makes sense that a group that believed being gay was a mental illness are staunch opponents of a term that has a clinical stigma attached to it. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Homophobes Might Be Hidden Homosexuals - BmorePat87 - 10-04-2017, 11:07 AM