Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homophobes Might Be Hidden Homosexuals
(10-04-2017, 01:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I assume these are his own words that you are referring to:

When a phobia incapacitates a person from engaging in activities considered decent by society, the person himself is the sufferer….But here the phobia appears as antagonism directly toward a particular group of people. Inevitably, it leads to disdain toward the people themselves, and to mistreatment of them. The phobia in operation is a prejudice, and this means we can widen our understanding by considering the phobia from the point of view of its being a prejudice and then uncovering its motives (Weinberg, 1971; see also Weinberg, 1972, p. 8). 

Seems a whole lot like what I said a few posts ago. It is a fear (phobia) and how folks react to that fear can lead to prejudice.

Not every person that dislikes homosexuals have a phobia of them; many hate out of pure ignorance and some may hate with cause (molestation, ect...) 

But I will say it again for the last time: Nobody is taking your word from you; throw it around as you see fit. Just don't be surprised when it loses its original intent much like terrorism. 

He is saying this thing he is referring to as a phobia is in operation a prejudice and by understanding that when looking the antagonism directed at the gay community, you can uncover the motives for this behavior. Herek points this out in both his introduction of the quote and analysis of it.  

I guess I should thank you for giving me permission to use terms correctly, just don't be surprised when people correct you when you use it incorrectly. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Homophobes Might Be Hidden Homosexuals - BmorePat87 - 10-04-2017, 01:26 PM