Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Globally, Broad Support for Representative and Direct Democracy
(10-17-2017, 03:44 PM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah, I'd also get rid of that "only one seat" principle with all that gerrymandered voting districts. I would solve that by just abandoning those. Instead you'd get statewide lists, and all seats going to that states are filled according to that lists and the votes parties get.
As soon as you vote for each seat individually, you have the two-party system, meaning a third party cannot win anything essential (like a seat). If all 12 Georgia seats were filled by one statewide election, roughly 8.5% of votes would constitute a seat, and the state's electorals' wishes would be represented way more accurately. And new powers would stand a chance, have a path to relevance. At least that's how I feel, but of course I'm accustomed to just that.

I just wanted to applaud the application/explanation of Duverger's Law, even if it wasn't named.

(10-17-2017, 03:44 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well, after having the coice between Trump and Hillary I have serious doubts if you can keep this stance.
I'm not saying you should adapt the European system, which also has its flaws. Yours, however, drove half the population away from the voting booth. Additional political forces would do your country good, I believe.

It wasn't that choice that drove them away, voter turnout is notoriously low in this country all the time.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Globally, Broad Support for Representative and Direct Democracy - Belsnickel - 10-17-2017, 03:48 PM