Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Globally, Broad Support for Representative and Direct Democracy
(10-18-2017, 05:44 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: No, the Democrats don't have their best interests in mind. No one does.

I am trying to reconcile that statement with the progress that "identity" groups have made over the last 60 years. Since the 1950s, it seems to me that the civil rights of, women, African Americans and LGBT Americans are much more secure now than when I was young. And this is in part because of federal legislation, which had to be introduced by some party other. Certainly Republicans helped with the Civil Rights Act of 1965. But since then it seems defense of traditionally excluded minorities has fallen to the Democrats, right up until the recent battles over voting rights.

Would you say that there has been no progress? Or that there has been progress, but not owing to either party? Or that Democrats have actually helped these groups and do fight for their rights--just not with their bests interests in mind? You have expressed the same goals for the Democratic party that I have, but I guess I don't understand what, in your view, would count as having their interest in mind.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Globally, Broad Support for Representative and Direct Democracy - Dill - 10-18-2017, 09:19 PM