Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teacher punished for using the T word
(10-19-2017, 12:25 PM)PhilHos Wrote: It's not. IMO, anyone that claims that 'thug' is a racist term are the racists. 

People should pay attention to how others use the word before they say that they aren't using it in a racist manner.  I'm not saying that the word itself is inherently racist, but when it's nearly exclusively used to describe people of color negatively, there may be something to it.

My father in law has used "thug" on at least two occasions to describe my sister-in-law's seemingly good guy, college student, well read, black boyfriend, but his own son with a drug trafficking criminal history is merely a troubled guy with a lot to learn.

People sometimes distort the meanings of words, and often, those words gain additional meanings because of it.  Don't be foolish enough to believe that just because a word was used one way 20 years ago that it is used the same way today.

(10-20-2017, 02:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Apparently another phrase that is racist that I was not aware of is Empty Barrel

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/frederica-wilson-john-kelly-calling-me-an-empty-barrel-is-racist/article/2638139

"That's a racist term, too. I'm thinking about that one. We looked it up in the dictionary because I had never heard of an empty barrel. And I don't like to be dragged into something like that," Wilson told CNN Friday morning.

I've never even heard of this phrase, and after reading that link, I'm still not even sure of what it means.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teacher punished for using the T word - Johnny Cupcakes - 10-20-2017, 02:48 PM