Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When does the honeymoon with Tobin end?
(10-23-2017, 03:46 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What is Tobin's role in the draft and how much input does he have? Does he put together the scouting reports on all the draftees? Is he the one mainly responsible for having "our board" set up in a certain order? Does he make recommendations on who to pick?

I know Lewis is the one who ultimately makes the pick, so I'd need more info on Tobin's role before crucifying him over any failed draft picks.

Quote:"I have some role. So do our coaches," Brown explained, via Geoff Hobson of the team's official website. "Duke has become the focal point for everyone. He keeps it on track. I would say today the responsibility is largely his. He puts it all together."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000637749/article/duke-tobins-star-rising-in-bengals-front-office

It's a valid question. From this article and others, I've taken it that Tobin points the draft team in the right direction for players, and then the picks are made by committee. Lewis, maybe the coordinators, the Browns and Tobin. 

Given that it's not all him, I don't fault Tobin for all of it. Some blame, surely, as much as the rest of the committee that picked a tackle with significant injury concerns to rebuild the line around, or to burn pick after pick on corners that watched from the sideline, etc. But that same committee has done pretty good in building a top 10 defense through the draft, finding a decent QB, etc.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: When does the honeymoon with Tobin end? - Benton - 10-23-2017, 03:59 PM