Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teacher punished for using the T word
(10-23-2017, 12:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What we're seeing here is a result of some of the dog whistles used by people when describing people they don't like. It takes a word or phrase that, on its face value, does not have any discriminatory/prejudicial intent behind it and ends up making that the inference for a community. It's the result of us pushing the sort of behavior into private while not actually addressing the systemic issues that foster the type of attitudes that cause the behavior in the first place. But that is something that takes actual work and it is a whole lot easier to just implement the PC Police rather than get anything done to treat the causes of it all.

Good points here. The word thug is definitely motivated by race.

I remember very clearly a few years ago I was watching an NBA game on TV at my then girlfriends house in the living room. I'm a huge Lebron James fan and he was playing for the Heat at the time so I was watching them and my girlfriends dad comes walking by and says "Ugh... watching those thugs huh?" And I kind of just sat there with a "did he really just say that?" kind of look.

Being a "thug" isn't always just about being a criminal. It has kind of become a term to describe black people who don't "act properly" or "speak properly". 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teacher punished for using the T word - Matt_Crimson - 10-23-2017, 04:40 PM