Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump to become first president to speak at anti-LGBT hate group's summit
(10-23-2017, 10:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to the Christmas thing, I think it is in reference to folks stating that saying Merry Christmas does not include all religions and/or atheists. There have been examples of open-minded folks wanting Nativity scenes removed, ect... The feeling is that Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ so why should it not be focused on him?

As for me: I'll say Merry Christmas to everyone, if they tell me it offends them (and they have) I'll say Okey Doke, have a good day. 

Hm. If someone told me the words "Merry Christmas" were offensive to him/anyone, I would consider that person to be an idiot. I probably wouldn't say it out loud and be a bit mad at myself for not doing so afterwards, but that's not normal and isn't about to become the new normal either. I know I'm from a somewhat different culture and also about PC police stretches, but it doesn't really go quite that far. A few strange fellas are of course everywhere, you say you have met some, but the "Merry Christmas is offensive" people are not an influential sociological group, while the "those people are idiots" group probably is.

Which is why I feel the fear of the words Merry Christmas to be frowned upon and forbidden by PC soon is, to put it too mildly, way overblown. That rather childish talking point annoys me. The fact that nothing annoyed me more about the speech though means Trump was probably quite composed. Boring, almost.

And issues with nativity scenes? Removed from where exactly, this is dependent on context. In general, I'm all for everyone focusing on what he wants to be focused on.

(10-23-2017, 10:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As to Trump's remarks, that's why I said let's wait to see what he says.  

Which was a reasonable approach.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump to become first president to speak at anti-LGBT hate group's summit - hollodero - 10-23-2017, 11:53 PM