Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson on Mike's reluctance to change
(10-26-2017, 12:53 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: That has always been my problem with this line of thinking. 

He's looking at the worst examples and making that the basis for comparison - saying 'at least we're not them, but if we change things up, we could be'. 

Why not reverse the logic and use the best teams as the measuring stick - 'we want to be like them, and if we make some real changes, maybe we can be'. 

The thought process is frustrating to say the least. 

I see fans do it all the time too. 'You want us to spend in free agency??? That doesn't work, look at the Redskins!' or 'Atleast we're not the Browns.'

Clearly Bengals Management feels that a Superbowl win is some mythical creature that takes a huge confluence of perfect storms to come together to win. I mean how probably is it that we'll win a Super Bowl in a season when we couldn't win primetime games against tough teams? We'd have to beat 3-4 such teams for a Super Bowl.

I'll argue that the jump from 1990's level bad to respectable is actually less steep than the jump from above average to great. The 1st jump lets you just correct low hanging fruit so to speak. After you get to above average, there becomes less low hanging fruit and the things you can do to improve are harder to find.

Things like maybe adding a quality Center in free agency. Waiting that MLB that you have that isn't performing. etc. And 1 or 2 small changes may reap a huge reward.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hobson on Mike's reluctance to change - THE PISTONS - 10-26-2017, 01:01 PM