Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like Ross is playing this week
(10-26-2017, 12:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You know, this is what I don't get. And this is not a knock on Ross in any way, and is a serious question...  his speed at the combine was what a 4.2? That's great and all, and is the combine record, but when matched against everyone else's 4.4s or 4.3s, does that 1 or 2 tenths of a second really make any difference on a 15 yd. route?

On shorter routes, I don't think the actual speed comes into play as much...I'd say it's the threat of the speed that could open things up for him. Once he burns a few guys, he'll get corners playing off of him...which will open up the underneath stuff. He has to prove he can beat the bump and run, too though. 

The difference between a quick-twitch 4.2 guy and a guy that runs a 4.55 can be pretty substantial though, even on a 15 yard route. That's an extra step or two on the corner and in a game as fast and precise as NFL football, that's a big deal. He has to be able to run good routes, play smart and beat that physical coverage though, in order to take full advantage of that speed.

(10-26-2017, 12:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: ....which is why you roll Ross out as WR2, playe Erickson in the slot, start WJIII at CB, and let Pacman handle return duties.  Seems pretty simple to me....but what do I know?

Spot on. I like Erickson as a KR, but we need to try to get him more snaps as a WR.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looks like Ross is playing this week - Shake n Blake - 10-26-2017, 01:09 PM