Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson on Mike's reluctance to change
(10-26-2017, 08:47 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It's quite interesting - and pretty depressing - to compare Hobson's thoughts on Mike in the OP, with quotes from Mike (and a couple from Katie) in a Hobson article from 1997 about Mike not giving up control:

''I'm unhappy we haven't won. The fans are unhappy we haven't won. We understand that,'' Brown said. ''But I don't agree with the media suggestions for correcting it . . . We feel we've got people here who have the knowledge.''

''I'm used to it. I've been criticized for 30 years,'' Brown said.

''Everybody loves the GM who is hot. A few years ago it was Bobby Beathard when San Diego went to the Super Bowl,'' said Katie Blackburn, Brown's daughter who handles the Bengals' salary cap as the club's top negotiator.

''Now where are the Chargers? I think he should stick with it. We've had some good years around here. I think my Dad knows as much football as anyone out there.''

''If you have the bell cow quarterback, it works,'' said Brown, who saw it work with Otto Graham in the '50s, Ken Anderson in the '70s and Esiason in the '80s.

''You have to have the key guy. If you don't have the key guy, it doesn't matter . . . The system, changed (to free agency), but one thing that didn't change was you still had to line up with a key player or two. Look at San Francisco (Steve Young), Dallas (Aikman), Miami (Marino), Denver (John Elway). They were good before and after the system. I'm not disparaging other players because you need as many good ones as you can get. But the quarterback is the key guy. Look at Buffalo this year.''

''When people talk about scouting, it's a red herring for people who don't know what they're talking about,'' Brown said. ''We have all the information everybody else has. There are no secrets. When the Broncos got (running back) Terrell Davis in the sixth round, it wasn't like he wasn't on our board. We talked about him. If they were so sure fire smart, why didn't they take him in the first round? We have the same record as the Rams and they have (eight) scouts.''

''Some of what we do is required by our financial situation,'' Brown said. ''I don't apologize for it.''

Two decades later, I doesn't seem much at all has changed in terms of Mike's thinking. 

Wow! Just wow! After how bad we were in the 90's if he didn't make changes...he never will now.

It's funny that he says all teams have access to the same information. He seems to dispel actual scouting and think that teams just use Kipers guide. Then he totally throws shade on the Broncos selecting Terrell Davis.

Then the talk about the financial situation. In the days of revenue sharing there really is no excuse.

Then the classic example - he looks at the worst of the worst...the Rams at the time and talks about how they have 8 scouts but still lose. The funny thing is 3-4  years later they'd be in the Super Bowl.

This interview is the definition of an ego investment. His way is the right way. He's sure of it. He's not going to change.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hobson on Mike's reluctance to change - THE PISTONS - 10-26-2017, 09:44 PM