Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson on Mike's reluctance to change
(10-26-2017, 11:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: In another Hobson article, from 2016, Mike talks about why he sticks with Marvin:

Lewis may have been fired from many NFL teams given the messy ending and a 0-7 post-season record. But Brown is famous for being the most patient owner in any pro sport. Yet on Tuesday he offered an excellent defense of his guy. A fundamental, pragmatic view of another century.

“If coaches were hired and fired on that account, the NFL would have a turnover rate about three times what is has now,” Brown said. “Yes, we want to win a playoff game, we want to win the Super Bowl. So do a lot of other teams, most of which have not gotten as far as we've gotten.

“It was a process for the two of us. It was his first time as a head coach and probably he was a little leery of different moments when it was not easy. And we worked through all of those and we became very comfortable. I'm quite respectful of Marvin. I think he's a good person. He's done a good job for us. I appreciate his loyalty. I feel lucky to have him, and I think the city should feel that way too.”

This is why I think Marvin gets re-signed, yet again - assuming he wants to come back. Mike is very comfortable with Marvin, and Marvin has been loyal to the Brown family. If Mike didn't think 7 playoff losses was a reason to fire him, I doubt the last couple of seasons will be much of a determining factor. 

I also think he's failing to make another important point. Mike Brown doesn't want to put the work in himself making major changes. Its a lot of work on the front office part to reorganize and I think that is another major issue with income still rolling in. They would make changes in a heartbeat if they were losing money. But this is the "Money Train NFL"  

So I fully expect to see Lewis next year unless he decides its time to leave. And we can have this same conversation again next year like we have for the past decade.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hobson on Mike's reluctance to change - GodFather - 10-27-2017, 09:55 AM