Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White privilege bolstered by teaching math
(10-27-2017, 04:45 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'd be interested in reading it, but I'd also point out that her wording seems unnecessarily confrontational.  When I'm writing a report on an incident I am careful to ensure my words convey an accurate picture without being unduly prejudicial.  I could state someone was "lying" or I could state someone's statement was "less than factually accurate".  I'm conveying the same information, just doing so in a less inflammatory manner.  If, as an academic, your purpose is to provoke discussion on a topic or view a problem from another angle it is very poor form indeed to use inflammatory language that will instantly shut off the concept of discussion or debate among potential reviewers of your work.

If she were writing for a journal, I'd agree with you. This publication is a different animal (and not something I am all too familiar with, either). I'd have to read the works of other authors in a similar publication to get a good feel for how the information is typically presented. Though context with the wording could help with understanding the language choice, we just don't know. I went to go check it out, but you have to buy the book (my university network login couldn't help me, this time). And I'm not ponying up $40 for you all. LOL

(10-27-2017, 04:45 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Additionally, as was correctly pointed out above, Asians typically outperform "whites" in the area of mathematics.  This isn't really in dispute and is rather common knowledge.  This being the case, this academic either consider Asians to be white or they discount the performance of Asians altogether.  Neither seems to adhere to anything resembling a rigorous academic standard.

Again, differences in the types of publications when looking at standards. Also, we don't know what may have been said regarding Asians because of selective pieces used for the news story.

Messages In This Thread
RE: White privilege bolstered by teaching math - Belsnickel - 10-27-2017, 04:52 PM