Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White privilege bolstered by teaching math
(10-30-2017, 10:42 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Curriculum and Instruction (which my masters is in). Makes sense considering her chapter was challenging curricula, equity in education, and the importance of mathematics versus other content areas. Basically the discipline looks at historical and current trends in teaching, assessment, and curricula development and seek to improvement teaching practices to meet the needs of our current learners.

I'd have to read her entire chapter in the book (and likely look at other chapters for context) before giving a professional opinion on her views. 

Your assessment is on the money. I have read a couple of things by Guiterrez. She has an article on "The Sociopolitical Turn in Mathematics Education" in The Journal for Research in Mathematics Education 2013, vol 44. no 1.  (That whole issue is devoted to equity in math instruction.)  The goal of that essay is more or less to lay out the need for a sociopolitical turn and the obstacles it faces and the positives for students.

I am not a "critical race theorist" (yet), but I am becoming more and more interested in the history of legal definitions of race and the ways in which racial identity informs daily life, both wittingly and unwittingly. Guiterrez essay, and others in the equity issue of JRME, expanded my horizon a bit, as I began to see how framing instruction in terms of the identities students bring to the classroom might lead to more success there.  (I once read a piece by a teacher complaining of students in certain Philadelphia districts who viewed doing well in math (sometimes in school generally) as "acting white"--a very disempowering attitude to bring to school.)

The juxtaposition of math and sociopolitics is interesting since people often learn or tend to think of math as "above it all" and totally separate from the social environments in which it is learned and applied.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: White privilege bolstered by teaching math - Dill - 11-02-2017, 07:59 PM