Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leftists panic over the possibility of having Thanksgiving with a Trump supporter
(11-13-2017, 04:14 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: http://www.dailywire.com/news/23495/leftists-panic-over-possibility-having-spend-emily-zanotti

Too funny.   If you need a survival guide to survive a holiday with family then your issues go far beyond politics.  

My favorite is to “see your relatives as people”  

All this is great until your uncle just calls you an idiot for referring to him as cis gendered.   Since all he really cares about hearing is how your life is going. 

Did you read the AltNet article or just the Daily Wire version?

Seems like AltNet is encouraging "leftists" to listen and empathize with people who have differing political viewpoints.

“In my experience, one of the hardest voices to bring to the table is the conservative voice. Conservatives are a little scared to speak out because they feel like they get shafted."

"What happened is that because of all the labeling, people like to dig their heels in the sand. If you ask a political question, people have their argument ready to roll. We don’t do that; we get people to share their personal stories, and we get them to sort of become lovestruck with each other. It’s amazing what happens. We get to some really deep places. We’ve started friendships among these political divides.”
and
“Empathy takes a massive amount of courage, even though it’s considered a soft skill. We have to be vulnerable, be ready to let go. You have to listen to what somebody is saying. That doesn’t mean accept it blindly, but you learn nothing from talking and everything from listening. All people’s stories matter."

Nothing is said about ulterior goals of conversion or undermining people's beliefs.

I can understand why invitations to listen across the political aisle and share stories might elicit mockery, but I am surprised at how swiftly all this gets framed as an elitist attack on common folks.  But I don't see how we get from the above quotes to this:

. . . college students and the more highly educated engage in the practice of listening intently to their relatives feelings, whilst nodding condescendingly, as if acknowledging that a three-year-old's desire to be a fire truck when he or she grows up is a legitimate idea. This works especially well with closed-minded adults, the magazines claim, because nothing will make a Trump supporter more confident in their election choice, than a 26-year-old career academic pretending to listen to their concerns about the economy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Leftists panic over the possibility of having Thanksgiving with a Trump supporter - Dill - 11-13-2017, 05:42 PM