Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Conversation with Willie Anderson (Fbook)
(11-20-2017, 03:16 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: You are kind of missing the point. He can't work with those guys in the offseason by rule. 

It's up to the players, now more than ever, to seek out additional work because the team isn't allowed to. 

9 weeks, 5 on field and with incredibly limited work is not enough time to "coach guys up" on the OL. 

Alexander still has opportunities to 'teach' even during the season - meetings, film room, practices, on the sidelines. The 'teaching' aspect isn't really affected by offseason limitations. Consider Dante Scarnecchia:

Speaking with a handful of Patriots linemen, they all gushed over Scarnecchia's even-keeled teaching and demand for pristine play.

"I feel so lucky to have been coached by him," left tackle Nate Solder said Monday night. "He's certainly helped me improve this season as he always has. And as a group, I think we've improved, and we continue to improve, and that's all a tribute to him and our hard work, for sure."

Solder called Scarnecchia an "excellent teacher," explaining: "He can break down the game so we can understand it. He can break it down so that we can play at a higher level. He's consistent, too. You'll see from day one of OTAs all the way to now -- Super Bowl practices -- we'll be doing the same drills because those drills translate. He harps on the same things that really help you improve your game."

"He teaches us every day and we roll with it and all work together."

Mason also went out of his way to praise Scarnecchia the teacher, describing his meetings as "all coaching -- it's all business."

Alexander - and every o-line coach - all have the same opportunities to 'teach/coach' as Scarnecciah does, whether they're doing so or not. I'm sure Alexander works hard, but I don't think his 'teaching methods' are working.

Regardless, sometimes - no matter how hard they may work - a coach just doesn't get the job done, which is where we are with Alexander. IMO, it's time for a new 'teacher'.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: My Conversation with Willie Anderson (Fbook) - Bengalholic - 11-20-2017, 04:17 PM