Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Lazor As Next Bengals Head Coach ?
(12-06-2017, 09:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Horsehockey. There are 32 of these HC jobs IN THE WORLD. The only reason a prospective HC would turn this one down is for a better one. Most teams looking for new coaches need a rebuild. This team is close in talent, what it needs is new coaching. This would be a dream job. You come in an immediately have a top 10 QB (Dalton haters can argue, but I believe he is top 10), a top 2 receiver, All Pro Defensive tackle, a shiny brand new running back who many say was the best all around back in the draft, a stable of 1st rounders in you cornerback position, a tight end who is top 5 (if he can ever stay healthy, but an up and coming replacement on the field now).... a good coach here could be deep in the playoffs within a year....

The bolded is exactly why I think the top coaching candidates would look past the Bengals. You left out how the new coach will have to deal with the worst owner in pro sports, who happens to have a penchant for meddling. The new coach won't have the power they crave. Outdoor practices in December. A weird power structure, where the head scout has been called the de facto GM, but the Owner is also technically the GM, and the entire coaching staff has a say. Speaking of the staff, the new coach will be forced to keep much of the old staff.

I think power and control easily trumps talent level for prospective Head Coaches. These guys think they can win with anybody, and many of them want to build a roster up themselves. The lack of control in Cincy is a big issue, IMO. Who wants to answer to 2 different people, be completely hindered in what you can do, and start your new tenure off with old scraps from a failed system? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bill Lazor As Next Bengals Head Coach ? - Shake n Blake - 12-06-2017, 01:48 PM