Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D. Pelfrey on local TV said Marvin did not want Ross - Mike B. & Tobin may now Plan
(12-12-2017, 09:47 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: He was not injured for like 4 straight weeks and saw no play. He was benched after one single route that Marvin heavily criticized him for "giving up" on.

This was after he was given 1 snap early in the season, fumbled it on a great play by the Houston player and then didn't see another snap the rest of the game.

The way Lewis spoke about Ross in press conferences made it apparent to me that he was unhappy with the selection and benched him out of spite.

I'm glad you have so much confidence in Lewis' ability to coach players. I don't. I saw several plays called where I thought "Unless Ross is a scam artist and somehow faked his entire final year at Washington and the pre-draft workouts, that play would have been better if Ross had the ball in his hands there." Simple stuff like end arounds that were given to Alex Erickson. Fine player. Not John Ross level talent.

So yea. Maybe Ross was unimpressive in practice, despite lighting college football and the combine on fire and being a top 10 pick. Maybe he was injured more than was let on (despite not being on the injury list and still not active on game days). Maybe Lewis was just speaking frankly in his press conferences for once (as he never does). Maybe the one comment he made was an isolated moment of frustration where he forgot that he's talking about a rookie and didn't give him the benefit of the doubt that he gives so many rookies and other young players (and older players too, actually).

Or maybe he just didn't like the pick (as this thread indicates) and spitefully benched him.

One has WAY more assumptions required to reach the conclusion that it does.

Occam's Razor man.

Lewis hate-benched him.

Yep. 

(12-12-2017, 10:03 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Or they didn't really want him. They've even spilled the beans that they were discussing putting him at CB   Mellow

That was a joke Marvin made. #FakeNews

(12-12-2017, 10:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: This is pure speculation of course, but you might have hit on the core problem. Given that Duke Tobin is not officially a GM, Marvin does not report directly to him, so technically Tobin is his peer and not his boss. Marvin might have an issue having to essentially report to a peer and feels he has lost whatever power he had in the front office.

Duke Tobin is the Director of Player Personnel. Think about that title for a minute. Now ask yourself if Marv should feel he has any authority over Bill on matters involving players.

Input, sure. Authority? No.

(12-12-2017, 10:52 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with this too.....but to me, the Ross pick was a want, and not a need.  He was hurt, he didn't play much, and the line still sucks, and we still can't cover the middle of the field.  Which was the bigger need?

Well we'll strongly disagree there. Have you seen what we have going on outside of AJ?

The line was the bigger need, I'll give you that. 

I'm still okay with the Ross selection. Not going to judge the kid's career based on 1 season where the HC didn't want him.

We should've addressed the line in free agency, and we had the money and opportunity to do so. We didn't even have any visits for linemen. Pathetic.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: D. Pelfrey on local TV said Marvin did not want Ross - Mike B. & Tobin may now... - Shake n Blake - 12-12-2017, 01:40 PM