Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D. Pelfrey on local TV said Marvin did not want Ross - Mike B. & Tobin may now Plan
(12-12-2017, 02:30 PM)depthchart Wrote: My intent here was not for a Defend Marvin Thread though it may appear so.

It is more about the Decision Making Structure of the Organization and what it might signal about what is to come.

I am one that wants MAJOR CHANGES which would include a New Head Coach etc.

To me it seems that Duke Tobin will be solidifying More Power & influence with Mike Brown once Marvin leaves. Maybe even before as Pelfrey implies.

The better New Head Coach candidates may not want to come to a situation where they have even less say than Marvin had in the end.

John Ross merely represented Marvin losing out in the Power Structure of decision making and may still end up producing. I still wonder who Marvin wanted though to compare his thought process to Duke/Brown on the Ross pick. Maybe it's a wash.

The Offensive Line issue is much bigger to me when judging Mike and Tobin. Makes me wonder what GEARS are moving in their Heads about the future they will likely shape without at least Marvin's input.

Duke Tobin seems to have Gained influence and may use that influence to LIMIT just how much Power the next Coach will have in the area of influence. This could mean SMALLER CHANGES versus the MAJOR CHANGES I want.

Could cause the better Coaching Candidates to stay away or be stuck with say an O-line Coach they don't want etc.

Not addressing the O-line properly this past off season has me wondering if a Mike Brown/Duke Tobin led Brain Trust will hire the right Coach, retain or not retain the right Staff etc.

To me the Thread is more about UNCERTAINTY and a lack of trust in the people that will be Reshaping Things this offseason.

Was Marvin the smartest Football guy in the room when those 3 met ?

Will the next Coach be the smartest Football guy in the room but without strong influence ?

Will the Brown/Tobin Brain Trust get this offseason right with Big Decisions to make ?

Will they TWEAK things more so than not ?

I'm Uncertain and fear that more of a Tweak may be coming, since we still have the same main two decision makers who have a mixed bag of good and bad decisions lately.

Now they will make even Bigger decisions soon as Marvin likely exits.

Great points!

For me the 'tales' of who is in charge will be: 1) Will they hire from within for the HC? ie Guenther
2) Will any of the current coaches be retained? ie Alexander

You know Mike Brown likes familiarity and Guenther and retaining some of the coaches would be the comfortable thing. But, it's likely not the best thing.

Now IF they clean house of coaches...then that's a step in the right direction and I may become more optimistic.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: D. Pelfrey on local TV said Marvin did not want Ross - Mike B. & Tobin may now... - THE PISTONS - 12-12-2017, 02:54 PM