Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross “healthy scratch” right? He posted this.
(12-19-2017, 12:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Marvin was really against the Ross pick and instead wanted Foster as some rumors have claimed, here's how I picture the conversation going down with Brown, Tobin, and Lewis...

Lewis - "I'd like Reuben Foster. I think he'll be really good with Vontaze."
Tobin+Brown - "But we just signed Kevin Minter. How about John Ross?"
Lewis - "I don't see how he'd get playing time. After all, we just re-signed Brandon LaFell. He's the WR2."
Tobin+Brown - "But Ross is a good kid, no questionable character. He's also blazingly fast, runs good routes, and had elite production his final year at Washington."
Lewis - "Yes, but Brandon LaFell is signed for two years whereas Minter is only for one!"
Tobin+Brown - "We understand, but it's also better financially to draft receivers and pick up LBs in FA because good LBs are cheaper than good WRs."
Lewis - "Fine. But Ross is only going to get playing time if he's 100% healthy, doesn't mess up at all, and our starting WRs are hurt. If not all of that happens, he will redshirt and you will suffer!"

In all seriousness, let's say the Bengals did take Foster instead of Ross. MAYBE Foster would have played over Minter, but maybe not. Knowing this coaching staff, Foster would have ridden the pine over Burfict, Minter, Vigil, and Rey. So he would have likely been in the same boat John Ross was.

And this brings me to my next point...the 2018 draft.
If the Bengals really want a LB like Foster, I see a lot of similar traits in Foster that I see in Roquan Smith. Josey Jewell from Iowa has been stellar as well (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josey-jewell-1.html). Malik Jefferson has been solid as well, but I think people expected him to do more than he did. There seem to be plenty of very good options for LB, as well as a couple in FA.
However, I don't see a WR like Ross in this upcoming draft. This draft looks to have a lot of big WRs. I think the closest WR to John Ross in the upcoming draft is Christian Kirk, but he's not quite as fast.

So my question would be would you rather have:
1) John Ross and get a new LB this offseason
or
2) Reuben Foster and get a new WR this offseason

I'm in favor of #1 because I think John Ross has a skill set that is both elite and unique that you won't really find in this coming offseason whereas Reuben Foster's skill set and elite traits might be easier to find.

Good post...

I choose Ross and a new LB this season.  The jury was still out on Vigil, and although a lot of folks seem to have given up on him, there was a brief period of time when they had a healthy DT and Burfict that Vigil was starting to flash the speed that got him drafted.  

Jordan Evans looked absolutely lost this past week.  

I think they need to start preparing for life without Burfict.  The NFL has made it clear that it is OK to assbag him, but if he farts in someone's general direction, he is missing games.  

The Bengals need big help at LB, safety (please, get rid of Williams...horrible at everything you need a safety to do), and DT.  

I would focus on the defense, as I (the minority here) think they actually have good pieces on offense, but they need a more creative and aggressive scheme.  They sure could use help at RG, and I hope Redmond shows something Sunday because he is almost guaranteed to play.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: John Ross “healthy scratch” right? He posted this. - SHRacerX - 12-19-2017, 07:21 PM