Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Concentration Camps in Italy?
(12-28-2017, 02:42 AM)hollodero Wrote: OK, it's becoming clear one could write an essay without really getting to the point on that one. The more formal encounters are, the greater the age difference is, the more formal people seem to be (think suit vs. T-shirt), the less people know each other, the more likely the "Sie" is fitting. Also, (northern) Germany is quite different from Austria or Bavaria, and I wouldn't have an easy time in Germany as well figuring that one out. And few things are more uncomfortable as when you actually don't know which one applies, I had my times where I would avoid adressing my counterpart directly because I wouldn't know which word to use.

-- Lastly, although it's not really wrong or a mistake, you probably shouldn't use the word "verklemmt" for a woman. My first thought would be "oh, wouldn't she undress?" - and the kid's teacher is generally addressed with "Sie", it would seem odd to me to do otherwise still.

As for the kindergarten teacher, I was thinking "uptight" as in hung up. Constipated.  My kids' home room teachers and other parents I always addressed as "Du" after the first few encounters, but not her. Funny because she taught in a Waldorf Kindergarten where they're supposed to be more "gelassen" and all. 

I add that I didn't call all teachers "Du." I was thinking of home room teachers. In the Grundschule, our relation to them was very different than in the US. Once a month ours would meet at a lokal with interested parents to discuss projects. So that was pretty informal. Then kids had the same one for two years, grades 1-2 and 3-4.  But it would seem odd to address other teachers that way (e.g., the gym or music teacher, the Rektor, or any staff). In front of students I always addressed teachers as "Frau" or "Herr" regardless of how well I knew them.

We weren't the only Auslaender--lots of Turks and people from the East. My daughter's Gymnasium had 26 different nationalities.  Some teachers were willing to break down the "Sie" distance, I think, to create community. We left Germany before my daughter could enter the sixth grade. Seven years later she got a signed card from all the kids graduating from her home room. They still considered her part of the class. So different from the US. We remained in touch with one of the teachers for years after we left.

A point about your not-getting-to-the-point regarding "Sie" and "Du." That was a pretty rich, useful description, I think, working in so many contextual clues.  It would be good for American students to read. Also it piqued my interest. I wonder if German speakers are even more casual now than 30 years ago and what regional differences might be. I always thought of Austria as rather more conservative than Germany and Northern Germany more liberal than Southern. I could add that I always addressed as "Sie" anyone I would call "Mr." or "Mrs." or "Dr." or "sir/maam" in the U.S.  (As in "Excuse me sir, is there a post office nearby?")

Also, my impression was that a familiarly disrespectful "Du" was a force multiplier when it came to insults. "Du Arschloch" in traffic has more force than a rather than a still formal "Sie sind ein Dummkopf". Or does that just sound like Auslaender Deutsch? Pretty sure I've heard angry drunken Germans calling one another that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
Concentration Camps in Italy? - BFritz21 - 12-21-2017, 03:16 PM
RE: Concentration Camps in Italy? - Dill - 12-26-2017, 04:30 PM
RE: Concentration Camps in Italy? - Dill - 12-27-2017, 03:07 PM
RE: Concentration Camps in Italy? - Dill - 12-27-2017, 02:28 PM
RE: Concentration Camps in Italy? - Dill - 12-27-2017, 03:42 PM
RE: Concentration Camps in Italy? - Dill - 12-27-2017, 08:30 PM
RE: Concentration Camps in Italy? - Dill - 12-28-2017, 01:02 AM
RE: Concentration Camps in Italy? - Dill - 12-28-2017, 07:07 AM
RE: Concentration Camps in Italy? - Dill - 12-29-2017, 05:19 AM
RE: Concentration Camps in Italy? - Dill - 12-28-2017, 12:34 AM