Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poland criminalizes accusing the country of complicity during the holocaust
(02-07-2018, 04:25 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm against criminalizing any speech that does not directly call for harming others, or the proverbial "fire" in a crowded theatre.  Unfortunately, Europe has a well established track record with this type of legislation.  Denying the holocaust or any pro-Nazi speech is a criminal act in Germany.  The "hate speech" law in the UK is obscenely broad, vague and all encompassing when desired (and an effort is now being made to extend it to protecting politicians from criticism they deem offensive).  I'm certain I could find many more examples if I had the inclination.

As offensive as I find the new Polish law I see little to no difference between this and what is already the norm in many European countries that are considered "more liberal" than the US.

And I have problems with those laws as well. I have had long discussions with folks in Germany about some of their laws. I find their speech laws insane, they find our firearm laws insane. It's a fun discussion. Doesn't change what I said.

Also, that those countries are more liberal than us is true only in some regards. But that is a whole other thread.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Poland criminalizes accusing the country of complicity during the holocaust - Belsnickel - 02-07-2018, 04:31 PM