Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet
(02-12-2018, 09:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It seems I misread your intentions; as I thought your intent was to show the two situations were not similar by using a semantical argument. I see now, your intention was just to inform. So it wasn't for "nought". 

It's not a semantical argument. The two houses operate differently.

The House banned filibusters over a century ago. Pelosi spoke that long because Republicans allowed her to as minority leader. At the end of the day, a vote was going to occur in which they only need a simple majority to pass whether Nancy wanted it to happen or not. 

The Senate has actual filibusters that cannot be stopped unless there's a cloture vote. You need 60 votes in order to force that. Democrats didn't have that in 2010 when they passed the DREAM act in the House and tried to bring it for a vote in the Senate.

Likewise, Republicans have had issue with getting legislation passed as they do not have a 60 vote majority. It would be intellectually dishonest to suggest they have done nothing to get immigration legislation passed or that they did nothing to get a budget passed before the shutdown simply because they couldn't force a cloture vote. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump struggles with the basics on history and civics in DACA tweet - BmorePat87 - 02-12-2018, 09:55 PM