Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump budget plan: End SNAP and deliver boxes of food
I actually agree that the food stamp program has some problems, but it just seems like it would cost more than it would save to package and deliver millions of tons of food all over the country every month. Do you realize the amount of manpower and resources it is going to require to deliver all of these individual boxes to each individual family every month?

Food stamp abuse is rampant. There is a large, well-organized black market where food stamps are traded for a fraction of their face value. Something needs to be done about that. But I don't think going back to the old "commodities" system would save any money.

BTW here is a good story my dad told me about the distribution of government commodities back in the 30's and 40's. Where he lived in rural Kentucky no one would ever use powered milk or "oleo" (what we call margarine) so the local guy who was charged with distributing the commodities would use it to fatten hogs. My dad said that guys hogs would grow so fast you could see them getting fatter every day.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump budget plan: End SNAP and deliver boxes of food - fredtoast - 02-13-2018, 02:07 PM