Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How corporations came to be viewed as "people"
(03-06-2018, 09:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Do you find it odd, that no one has ever made any serious push to make these things widely known, or to propose correcting them?

Back at that time, the percentage of mostly agrarian and lay people likely weren't as politically engaged, as they are today.  So, I could understand the lack of any serious "outrage" from the public, at that time.

One thing that I have learned in studying government and how it works is that our country has a habit of romanticizing the past. Once something becomes a precedent or a tradition it is held onto like a death grip.

I'm against progress for the sake of progress, especially when it is unfettered. But the way in which we hold onto these things is one of the reasons, in my opinion, that we have a lot of the problems in our government that we have.

As for people learning about it, well, it's not as sexy a topic as the more controversial stuff so it doesn't get any attention.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: How corporations came to be viewed as "people" - Belsnickel - 03-06-2018, 09:51 PM