Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We need to learn Christian forgiveness and look past Trump's past actions!
(03-29-2018, 12:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Now that we are talking about the case and not the faulty premise of the OP, I am torn by this case just as others are. I know there are expedited paths to citizenship connected with Military Service and have read over 100,000 immigrants have received citizenship connected with their service. 

For some reason this guy chose not to take advantage of those paths or was ineligible because he was not honorably discharged from service (apparently came up positive for marijuana on a urinalysis). He states he believed he became a citizen when he enlisted, this I find almost impossible to believe. Every solder has a form known as an Enlisted Records Brief and on that for your citizenship is plainly stated. Also each Battalion size element has a security section designed to issue clearances.

In this case it appears he had no interest in obtaining citizenship until he found out that his crimes could lead to deportation. As to the PTSD: I know many who suffer (hell, one might be typing right now) and I do not know of any who have turned to illegal drugs for treatment. It is real and needs treatment. Hopefully he finds the help he needs in Mexico.   

This is what makes me less sympathetic towards him. He could've become a citizen even before serving. As an LPR from the age of 8, he could have easily done it at any time prior to his problems.

Now, I do know PTSD sufferers that have self-medicated with illegal substances. One person I went to high school with is currently in rehab for opiates after nearly overdosing a couple of weeks ago and he has been in and out since his tours in Iraq. People seek out different coping mechanisms, but they will often migrate to what is most available to them and fits what they see as their needs. He is, unfortunately, refusing to seek help for his PTSD, which why he has been in and out so much.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: We need to learn Christian forgiveness and look past Trump's past actions! - Belsnickel - 03-29-2018, 01:10 PM