Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saudi Prince Recognizes Israel’s Right To Exist
(04-09-2018, 07:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems like one question would have sufficed: "Who is MBS?" Although, I thought it was a given with the context of the thread.

However, my question was to inquire where Mohammad bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, also known as MBS, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia received his Western Education as I only knew of him receiving his Education in the ME (Middle East).

But Fred has set me straight about answering questions; though, he seems fine with yours. 

My bad, not yours. It took me while to figure out.

One can get a Western Education in the Middle East. That is one of Qatar's offerings, for example, to other countries of the GCC. They have a special "Education City" set up in Doha to do just that.

Within Saudi Arabia, the Prince could have gone to the Islamic University of Madinah, where he would have received a traditional education in the four modes of Sunni interpretation.  Though they recently added a basic computer science program, this is still basically a Medieval University.  Check their Mission statement. http://enweb.iu.edu.sa/Page/index/20987

Nothing like this, really, in the West, so far as I know.

Faud is a modern engineering university.  The proudly display their world ranking on their web page.
http://www.kfupm.edu.sa/default.aspx   They do have an Islamic Studies department, but it approximates a religious studies department in any US research university--not the dominate mission.

Sending the Prince there, for a Western as opposed to an Islamic education, was a signal about the future direction of Saudi leadership.  It meant he would learn something of petro-engineering from English texts and English speaking professors, even though his major was law.  And he would take a few courses on subjects like "regional integration" understood from the perspective of modern social science. He would be able to take the long view of Saudi development in a global market, not to mention be able to read English newspapers for himself.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Saudi Prince Recognizes Israel’s Right To Exist - Dill - 04-10-2018, 11:17 AM