Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teen with full ride to 20 colleges requests public apology from Fox affiliate
(04-13-2018, 03:24 PM)Benton Wrote: It's not so much "Fox v Everyone Else" but more the "Fox Mentality v Jounalism."

Real journalists for years slammed Fox because of the opinions. Not just the bias, but the overt opinionism interjected mostly through adjectives. Watch Fox under the Bush years and news references to fighting in the ME were typically patriotic. "Brave troops today engaged murderous Muslims in SomeCityEndinginStan." The Obama years, the adjectives changed. "Fighting continues today for brave troops in SomeCityEndinginStan."

And it's slowly spread to where that's the norm. 

The last daily newsroom I was in, the biggest argument every day was over adjectives and adverbs. Young reporters want to use them to make their stories more interesting; veteran editors strike them.

I don't think this being a Fox affiliate has anything to do with it, but I do think the Fox mentality does.

I remember taking a mass media course in college around (1989-1990) where we had to write a headline/story with just facts.  We could not sensationalize or editorialize.  Only facts.

It was harder than it sounded at first, but it was good practice.

I tried to maintain that when I was writing news for the radio stations I worked at.  It was easier then because the stories were basically blurbs, maybe a paragraph or two.  And a lot of that was rewritten from the AP wire.

Ah, the good old days.... Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teen with full ride to 20 colleges requests public apology from Fox affiliate - GMDino - 04-13-2018, 03:32 PM