Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Correlation does not equal causation
(05-10-2018, 02:30 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Here's where I have a problem with your argument.  There is certainly a logic to saying one extreme voice does not entail a majority opinion.  However, what I think you are ignoring is that the number and pitch of these voices is increasing.  I also think you're ignoring how these things build.  Recall the old board and our discussion of same sex marriage.  No one, not even those of us in favor of it, foresaw just how quickly that went from a backburner issue with little support to the law of the land.  I also think you severely underestimate the number of people, and the funding behind them, of people who want exactly what I'm describing. 

I think what you are ignoring is that these situations are very different. In the case of same-sex marriage, there was a judicial trend that was moving in that direction. There is a judicial trend in gun control, as well, but that trend is moving away from the direction you are saying we are going.

As for my underestimation, that may be so. I'm an Appalachian and you ain't touching our guns 'round these parts. This can skew my view of it. But at the same time you ought to recognize that your location and the information you consume as a firearm enthusiast is going to produce a point of view that may be slanted to the point of overestimating the movement you are talking about.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Correlation does not equal causation - Belsnickel - 05-10-2018, 03:01 PM