Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donald Trump cannot block critical Twitter users, court rules
(05-24-2018, 03:16 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So you kind of pointed out the difference from your example in the first post with your second post. Walking away or ignoring someone would be like not reading the tweets. Blocking them is like not making yourself available for your constituents at all. To go in the direction of phone calls: ignoring the tweets would be like tossing out any phone messages from your voicemail or handed to you by staff and not responding; blocking someone on Twitter would be like not having a listed phone number and/or not having someone to answer the phone or a way to take messages.

The sticking point is the access. The public has a right to access to their elected officials (within reason), both to hear and be heard. This is a part of how the First is interpreted. Blocking someone on Twitter cuts off that access in a way that the courts, with this ruling, do not see as reasonable.
Which would be all well and good IF THE PRESIDENT DOESN'T ALREADY HAVE AN OFFICIAL TWITTER ACCOUNT. Like i said in my original response, if this were in regards to the official presidential twitter, I agree with the ruling. But, with Trump's personal account this is an affront to his First Amendment rights. 
[Image: giphy.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Donald Trump cannot block critical Twitter users, court rules - PhilHos - 05-24-2018, 03:24 PM