Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump, Kim sign "comprehensive" document
(06-15-2018, 04:26 PM)PhilHos Wrote: And this is where you lose all credibility. A bow is "symbolic" in showing that the person you are bowing to you consider to be greater than yourself. In other words, bowing to someone is showing a greater respect to that person than saluting them. 

In our military, the junior ranking members are expected to initiate salutes to superior ranking members. The higher ranking member is generally expected to return the salute. But salutes are only exchanged between enlisted members and officers and officers and other officers, not between enlisted members. Also, our military members generally don't salute civilians. The one big exception to that rule is the POTUS, who is the CiC of the armed forces.

I'm told that the clip didn't tell the whole story of the situation. That the NK officer started to salute Trump, then had second thoughts and held out his hand to shake. Trump, presumably caught off guard, returned the initial half-salute. That narrative would kind of make sense, as I'm sure that Trump has probably been having to return a lot of salutes during the past year or so.

Still, the clip that was shown was from the NK media and was used for propaganda purposes (as would be expected from them). It is still a faux pas, IMO, from a POTUS who tends to make a lot of them... such as this:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-says-he-wants-my-people-to-sit-at-attention-for-him-like-people-do-for-kim-jong-un/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=53057638
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump, Kim sign "comprehensive" document - Bengalzona - 06-15-2018, 05:22 PM