Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump admin to end separation policy
(06-20-2018, 03:31 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Out of curiosity, do you have something against Melania?

My guess is that he was sincere. Part of the reason being given for Trump's reversal was Melania urging him to stop the policy, at least that is what I heard on NPR earlier.

(06-20-2018, 06:49 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: What has changed with this administration is the last part: criminal proceedings. Before, parents with children were not automatically put into criminal proceedings. This administration has elected to do that, in addition to denying asylum requests for a wide variety of reasons.

I just want to clarify, since this wasn't specified. Illegal entry can be treated with either criminal or civil penalties per the USC. Previous administrations opted for civil proceedings rather than criminal. So it wasn't that border crossers were not facing punishment, it was just a different avenue. The problem with all of this, whether processing them for criminal or civil violations, is that there are not enough resources to keep up with the demand. Much like the understaffed border patrol, the staff for processing the claims and the returns are limited in number. The backlog is huge.

What I want for increasing our border security is increasing the resources we send down there. We don't need a wall, we need people. We need trained people to serve in these roles.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump admin to end separation policy - Belsnickel - 06-20-2018, 08:33 PM